Monday, January 16, 2006

Ice Swimming

Yesterday(Saturday), I went with Manu and some other guys and girls to the Oulu River for an experience of ice swimming. It was good weather, around 0 to -1 degC. Believe me, the temperature is OK after a while. In fact this is "warm" weather. We had an experience of -10degC before I think, so -1 is really chicken feet. HAHA!

When we reached Oulu river after a a short walk, the organizer ( a Finnish guy named Ilkka) told us there were 2 cabins each for guys and girls. The catch was the one which was further away had a shower and the one nearer the sea had none. So being the "smart" person I was, of course I took the NEARER one. You wouldn't want to get caught in the wind with NOTHING on and cold water on your back. No you definitely wouldn't. Getting a fever in Finland is not something I intend to experience. So after all the others undressed (why am I always the slowest? Nah, I was dreading it), I was the last to go out. I didn't have socks on like the others who were more experienced. I stepped onto the snow.

F**K! It's damn cold! It's biting my skin! The wind is blowing!

There's no way I am going into the sea and I went back into the cabin. Disappointed, of course. I saw Ederr coming out of the sea, and he was shivering very badly. He just went "Brrrr...! brrrrr...brrrr..." I think he was in a state of shock or something, cos he had the towel in his hands and he couldn't put it on himself. Then my regrets disappeared. Haha. I think I would have died if I came out of the sea and the wind blew at me. I quickly draped the towel over his body and he gave me a quick smile after a short while. The rest came back and were saying how f**king cold it was. Sure, I can imagine it. But I didn't experience it. DAMN ><,


********************************

But of course, I don't wanna leave Finland and say that I didn't try this and that. So I made up my mind. Today (Sunday) we went another time. And I was prepared. I brought extra socks and slippers for walking on the stupid ice before jumping into the sea. Oh yea I learn quickly eh? So I brought the newcomers to the river side. (It was a different group today.) The temperature was -6 degC BUT there was no wind. YAY! I can go in already! Quickly I changed. And then the feeling of dread sets in. I hate cold temperatures. What if I get a fever? What if I drown in the Oulu River? What if...What if...What if... And then I get crazy. F**k la. Remember Nike's slogan. Just do it (man). So I step out gingerly into the snow. A slight breeze was blowing. But I had my nice white towel draped over my body. =) I steeled myself mentally. Yes, it's cold and it's a mad Singaporean who wants to jump into Oulu River.

The bravest girls who are up for a challenge!Pondering. Should I? Why shouldn't I? Really? Maybe it's not too cold? Polar bears underneath? LOL.
Everyone's getting in! No one's backing off! I must do it too.

No. Maybe not. After all, it's every week, I'll just do it next week. HAHA!

The great advisors advise me to get in FAST.
"NOW NOW NOW! It's nice and refreshing! Kids' stuff!" (nope he didn't say that. I made it up =P)
"I dunno if I can even take off my towel."
"O yeah I did it and I'm still alive."
"OK, wrap a towel round me when I come up! Kiitos!"


Cold cold wind. I decide to jump in. Be a man! Took off the towel, the wind was blowing slightly, but I already was shivering. Inside the water!

AHHHH KILL ME!!!! The water's so chilly. No that's an understatement. It's f**king killing me.

Water's even colder! SHIET! But I must immerse myself, so that I can say I was inside Oulu River! Cannot cheat! HAHA!

OK enough! I want to get up! Help me! AHHHHHHHHH!

Safe on land. 2 frozen legs. Numb, unfeeling. After that, a bit of feeling coming back. Thousands of needles pricking your skin. Ouch ouch ouch ouch! Goose pimples ALL stand out from skin and hairs all on end. At least for me.First Singaporean to come back alive after swimming in Oulu River. At least I hope I am the first. HAHA!
Legs feeling very heavy.
Posing after the "refreshing" swim. SO REFRESHING. If you're tired after some studying, just jump into the river. Bet you won't sleep the whole night. Muggers' favourite haunt during exams. (Just kidding.)

Lookie at my boxer shorts! I love them! (they're from H&M. E5.90 per piece.)
HOHO! After the cool dip, the -6 degC temperature was peanuts.

Yeah, good job! (Stefano didn't get to swim cos he came late. AWWWW!)

I am coming back next week (maybe?) It'll be a better challenge cos the predicted temperature will be about -20degC.

I am such a sado-masochist. LOL.

CREDITS: Many thanks to GABOR for being such a good photographer. Without you I can't narrate my story. =)