Saturday, May 27, 2006

Poland - Krakow (incomplete)

I don't want my post on Poland to be incomplete so here it is for Krakow as well, but I won't be posting a picture intensive post cos it would be too long.

We reached Krakow at 7am after a long bus ride from the Wegorzewo marina and a 2 hour stopover in Warsaw, in which I partied with a few others in a nice club. Was thoroughly shagged out (as you can imagine) from the bus ride, even though I slept on the bus. Checked in at Hostel Gulliwer (in Polish alphabet, W is pronounced as V and there is no V in the alphabet), then the guided tour began, on foot!

We visited the town square, and the market square of Krakow, reputed to be the biggest in Europe! Pics!

Town Square of Krakow.

Me at a fruit market in the town centre.
Krakow University. 2nd oldest in Europe, the oldest being Prague University.

Market square of Krakow. Largest in Europe, and I think it's even one of UNESCO's heritage sites. Correct me if I'm wrong.

My meal at a cheap Polish eatery. Bigos (cabbage, potatoes and sausage with sauce) and pierogi (meat dumplings not unlike Chinese ones; tastes a little different though).

Interior of a church. Forgot its name.Postcard view with me in it.

Courtyard commemorating Pope John Paul II and his life. Polish people are mostly Catholics.

The Pope in the Alps with his close friends (taken from a photo in the exhibition in the courtyard).

We also saw the onsite shooting locations of Schindler's List, in one of the small alleys where there was supposed to be a small boy hiding behind some barrels. (I haven't watched the show so I don't know the whole thing.) Then we went off after the guided tour to explore on our own. We climbed the church tower, took pictures of the whole Market Square from above.

Krakow Market Square as seen from atop a church on the rim of it. I think the name of the church is St Mary's Church.

Wawel (pronounced Vavel) Castle from the outside.

Trapped under the dragon's foot outside Wawelski castle. Apua*! *apua = help in Finnish

TO BE CONTINUED....(because Blogger is not working for the time being =S)

1 Comments:

Blogger Fireopal said...

nice scenery.. good food.. what else can one ask for?

6:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home